Thursday 19 September 2013

(CLOSED) Qiu Lian Ban Mee 秋莲板面 (Toa Payoh Central)

*CLOSED*

Handmade Noodles has always been my comfort food since my secondary school days when I had to have my lunch outside whenever there was extra lessons (remedial) or ECAs (now called CCAs). I was first introduced to this hot, soupy bowl of noodles aka handmade noodles by Qiu Lian Ban Mee 秋莲板面 which was then a popular stall chain with long queues. I wonder how many experience first started with Qiu Lian Ban Mee too? Kee Chiu (raise your hands)? 

Fast forward to today, Qiu Lian Ban Mee 秋莲板面 does not seems to be as popular and there are similar many competitors. If you have noticed, in most hawker centres, major coffeeshop and food court, there would definitely be at least one handmade noodles stall which speaks a lot about the demand. Of course, part of it is attributed to the fact that the owner of the coffeeshop and food court might have specifically stated that they are looking for a handmade noodle operator as they would want a variety of food to be sold. 
As the Qiu Lian Ban Mee stall at Bishan Blk 504 S11 coffeeshop had closed, I had to get my craving satisfied elsewhere. Hence, I visited the Qiu Lian Ban Mee's 秋莲板面 stall located in Super 28 Coffeeshop at Blk 184 Toa Payoh Central. As it was a weekday lunch, the coffeeshop was filled to the brim. There was a queue of about 7 persons long at Qiu Lian Ban Mee. Normally, the queue at handmade noodles stall gets clear quite fast. However, in this case, I had to wait for slightly over 30 minutes before I could land my hands on my bowl of noodles. 

The main reason was because there was only 1 person operating this stall. She was took the orders, prepare the ingredients, cook and collect the cash from customers. 
The Qiu Lian Ban Mee's menu which is the nearly the same at all other coffeeshops.
You Mian $3.50
As per SOP (Standard Operating Procedure), I ordered a bowl of Yu (You) Mian $3.50. 
You Mian $3.50
It was quite a decent bowl of handmade noodles. The broth was tasty and flavourful. Another positive aspect was that it was not salty. The you mian were well cooked, soft and fragrant. The other ingredients (egg, vegetable, pork) in it were pretty standard for a bowl of handmade noodles. 

Handmade noodles is my type of comfort food. I can eat it everyday and this is normally the food I would go for when I am at a new coffeeshop or food court. Somehow, it seems to be a safe choice for me. Nevertheless, I have encountered my fair share of stalls which sells horrible handmade noodles. 

ps: AMK Curry Puff is located just next to this Qiu Lian Ban Mee stall! In case, you have not heard of this yet, AMK Curry Puff is operated by the ex-owner of Tip Top Curry Puff (Ang Mo Kio). The owners of Tip Top Curry Puff sold off their business 2 years back. The minority shareholder owner started AMK Curry Puff as being the minority shareholder, they had little influence in the sales of Tip Top Curry Puff. Hence, after Tip Top Curry Puff was sold off, they started AMK Curry Puff and continued in what they were passionate about - selling and making delicious curry puffs! 

Qiu Lian Ban Mee 秋莲板面 (Toa Payoh Central)
Blk 184 Toa Payoh Central
Inside Super 28 Coffeeshop 
Singapore 310184

View FoodieFC's Singapore Food Map in a larger map

6 comments:

  1. While I love soupy Chinese noodles very much, I have never heard of Ban Mee. Yet after reading through your review, I am tempted to dig into the noodles and the tasty soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my fave Ban Mian stores, but I haven't been to their outlet in TP. Lots of ikan bilis for me pls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one at Toa Payoh still survives. The noodle is still as good as before. But one thing i dislike is their hygiene. She uses the same hand to collect money and prepare food without using gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I rmb when I went that day, she removed her gloves to collect my money and then put it on again to cook the food.

      Delete
    2. I revisited the stall again last week after the coffee shop was renovated. Previously I was served by an old lady from PRC. But this time, she was replaced by a younger Vietnamese. Thinking that the hygiene will be improved but I was wronged. She also uses the same hand to collect cash and grab noodle without using gloves. It wasn't crowded then. Don't understand y they can't get rid of these bad habits. They are tarnishing the good reputation of Qiulian!

      I think i will do a video clip next time and send it to NEA.

      Delete
    3. Oh no. Then better notify the authorities if you have the evidence so that they can act before someone falls ill from the poor hygiene (esp young children).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...