Monday 20 October 2014

161 板面 Ban Mian (Bukit Merah Central)

Minced Pork You Mian (Dry) $3.20
When we visited Dong Fong Fatt Coffee Shop, we had only one intention which was to try the Double Boiled Old Coconut Chicken at Lim Soup. But when we were at the coffeeshop, the 3 customers at the table besides us ordered 3 bowls of dry handmade noodles. I caught a sniff of the aroma of the handmade noodles as they were tossing the noodles and I commented to my partner that it smelled delicious!
Since the Double Boiled Old Coconut Chicken at Lim Soup was sold out, I decided to check out the handmade noodles stall. I found it hidden behind a pillar, next to Lim Soup, The stall is called 161 板面 Ban Mian. I stood in front of the stall, in a dilemma whether to order this or the soup from Lim Soup.
In the end, I took the leap and chose the handmade noodles. 161 板面 Ban Mian is essentially a handmade noodles stall. I ordered You Mian dry version since this was what I caught my attention (literally my sense of smell). While waiting for my food to be cooked, I understand that the stall has been around for 19 years and that the owner makes the noodles himself ensuring that they are smooth and QQ (i.e. springy).
Minced Pork You Mian (Dry) $3.20
This bowl of Minced Pork You Mian (dry) $3.20 was excellent! It was so good that we regretted not ordering one each!
Minced Pork You Mian (Dry) $3.20
The ingredients in this Minced Pork You Mian (dry) were the same as those used in the soup version. The difference was the sauce at the bottom of the bowl. The sauce was the bomb! SHIOK! It was just right, so fragrant and flavourful with a hint of black vinegar (reminds me of Teochew style Bak Chor Mee suace). Mixing the noodles well with the sauce, each strand of You Mian (noodle) was just so addictive and tasty. We were literally over the last few strands of noodles. Although a generous amount of sauce was given, the sauce was not salty.
Minced Pork You Mian (Dry) $3.20
The bonus was that the egg was not overcooked and the yolk was still oozing out. If you prefer the dish to be creamier, give it a good mix with the runny egg yolk. 

I can't help but emphasis again how delicious this bowl of dry version You Mian is! We were glad that we gave this a try and wished that we ordered 2 bowls instead. This is a must try! What an unexpected find! Wonder if they would one day add fried crispy flat fish (扁鱼).

161 板面 Ban Mian (Bukit Merah Central)
Dong Fong Fatt Coffee Shop
Stall 4, Block 161 Bukit Merah Central
Singapore 150161


View FoodieFC's Singapore Food Map in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Gosh!! The way you described the dish, I am drooling over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have written about Ban Mian; the place expats must visit. On the other hand, if you are an expat and plan on moving to Singapore, you may want to check out www.placematch.sg. I found it to be very useful in finding a place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...